A spoopy new update hits Bahari Bay today, a new parkour mode some quality of life and a fan favourite can now me romanced! Palia Patch 0.170 Notes down below.
Screenshot taken by Florentine Valentine
Palia Patch 0.170 Notes
‘Tis The Season!
What’s a patch without some pumpkins? Because that’s what we have in store for this one! We invite Palians all around to come and enjoy the festivities we put together. This pumpkin patch also brings some big requests from the community and major bug fixes, so read on below to see what we have!
At a Glance
- Get in the spirit with the new Spooky Moon Set!
- A certain miner’s heart is now available for romancing…
- Test your traversal skills with the all new Obstacle Course!
- Coordinate with other players using the all new Flare Arrows and Nearby Chat!
- Sort through your Workbench recipes with even more filter options!
New Premium Outfits
Three New Outfit Bundles have been added to the Premium Store.
From left to right: Student Style, Vampiric, and Stately Sage.
- Featured Outfit: The Vampiric Bundle (1700/Outfit, 3400/For all 3) includes The Charmer, The Chiropteran, and The Count outfits.
- Each outfit comes with a top (which includes the cape) and a bottom.
- The Stately Sage Bundle (1275/Outfit, 2550/For all 3) includes Rite & Ritual, Earth & Air, and History & Mystery outfits.
- Each outfit comes with a top and a bottom.
- The Student Style Bundle (850/Outfit, 1700/For all 3) includes Finance, Creative Writing, and Studio Arts outfits.
- Each outfit comes with a top and a bottom.
New Features and QoL Additions
Pumpkins have suddenly appeared all throughout Kilima Village!
What is this mysterious register?
- Like all the pumpkins around Kilima, a mysterious cash register has appeared selling rather ghastly goods for gold.
- You can find the register in the fountain area behind Jel’s shop.
- The following 9 decor pieces are available: Spooky Pumpkin, Spooky Jaak-O-Lantern, Spooky Sernuk-O-Lantern, Spooky Heirloom Pumpkin, Spooky Vined Pumpkin, Spooky Candles, Spooky Pumpkin Stack, Spooky Floating Candle, Spooky Pumpkin Wallpaper
It’s the romance you’ve all been minin’ for – Hodari!
We’re thrilled to announce that Hodari’s romance questline is now available! That’s right – your favorite Sad Dad is officially romance shaped!
“As soon as we got the concept art of him, we knew he was going to be romanceable. And… we can neither confirm, nor deny, that he was inspired by other favorite Single Dads… from across the galaxy.”
-S6 Vega, Sr. Narrative Designer
Some quick notes to open Hodari’s romance options:
- Make sure you’ve completed the final quest for the Temple of the Waves, “Echoes of the Unknown,” AND
- You must complete Najuma’s level 4 friendship quest.
- Because he is a good dad.
A note for you Sifuu fans: We love how much you love Sifuu, and we want you to know we hear you! Sifuu is complicated for Lore Reasons™, so we beg your patience. Thank you!
Check out the all-new Obstacle Course!
- Jump, climb, and glide your way across this special dream-like space that was made using several objects found throughout Palia!
- There may be treasure chests with Zeki Coins and some found letters scattered throughout the course, but otherwise this feature is meant to be just a fun opportunity.
- You can access the Obstacle Course by interacting with a specific Arcade Machine found in the Black Market.
We also want to be clear that the Obstacle Course is definitely an experiment we’re trying out — it’s our first attempt on how we want to approach different ways people can play in Palia, and there’s lots of room for us to improve and iterate over time. The Obstacle Course was designed to be bonus content, so there’s no pressure to complete it and you won’t miss out on any big items. For those of you looking for a challenge and are a lover of platformers and jump puzzles, though, we look forward to hearing feedback from you!
More of the Valley Sunrise Set has been added to Zeki’s Wondrous Machine.
- Four items have been added: Valley Sunrise Bookshelf, Valley Sunrise Oval Table, Valley Sunrise Lights, Valley Sunrise Knife Set
Need a more focused conversation to just those around you (and not the whole map)? Nearby Chat is here!
- Note: We previously called this “Proximity Chat” in our Sep’ Dev Update, but decided to go for a cozier term for the feature.
- This is a new tab in the current Chat menu that allows you to send messages just to those around you — we think it’ll be useful for those trying to coordinate group activities such as chopping Flow Trees and coordinating Cooking Parties! You can also type out /say and /nearby to toggle the chat on.
Find friends and call out locations on the map using Flare Arrows.
In addition to Nearby Chat, this feature is something we added thanks to feedback from our players wanting to coordinate together even more. Some folks have already been using fireworks for this purpose, but we wanted to create a more functional arrow with a reasonable recipe and a more subdued (read: less flashy) effect.
- You can obtain the Flare Arrow recipe from the Hunting Guild Store for 500 Gold starting at Hunting Level 4.
- The recipe for Flare Arrow x5 is as follows:
- Heartwood x5
- Flint x5
- Crystal Lake Lotus x1
- Note: The effect for a shot Flare Arrow will remain visible for up to 1 minute or until another one is shot, whichever happens first!
Additional sorting options have been added to the workbench.
- You can now sort your recipes by Alphabetical, Reverse Alphabetical, Ready to Craft, and Never Crafted.
You can now open/close various bookshelves and cabinets, and place even more decor inside them!
Crafters now support the canceling of recipes.
- Accidentally start a 6-hour queue crafting Gold Bars? This feature is for you! Simply click the ‘X’ icon next to the timer.
- This is also a workaround for those affected by the issue where their crafter is stuck at ‘0s’ and cannot be moved.
Doors, Hallways, and Porches no longer count towards the building add-on limit.
The default cast speed for Fishing has been reverted (to be faster) — but you can now adjust the option in the Settings menu to fit your preferences.
The recipe for the Dowsing Rod has been adjusted.
- The required amount of Coral has been reduced from 6 → 3.
Now that Hodari’s Romance is here, can you tell us who is next?
We can already expect a lot of people to be asking for Sifuu (and we see all those who definitely have already)! That said, we don’t have a timeline we can give at the moment for who or when the next romance option will be.
Something we want to address is why it took a bit of time for Hodari’s romance quests to even be added. When it comes to older romance options, there’s a lot of considerations involved that aren’t as present for young love. We wanted to pay respect to the experiences and challenges that can come with an older romance, especially for single parents. We’re looking forward to seeing all the reactions for those looking to romance Hodari — which will, of course, require getting closer to Najuma.
I’ve already romanced a Villager. What should I do if I want to Romance Hodari?
Did you know you can romance all of the villagers? There’s nothing stopping you from completing all romance questlines available!
That said, there’s two romance pin slots for you to figure out whose adoration you really want to rep. Villagers will even have unique dialogue depending on what pin(s) you have equipped.
Can I romance my Shepp?
Yup! We see a lot of people figured this out with Reth.
Are there plans to make pumpkins be a crop, and not just decor?
It makes a lot of sense! We’ll have to see. Due to how Gardening works, we have to be mindful of introducing new crops and how that impacts existing strategies. And due to how Cooking works, we want to be especially mindful in making sure any recipes we introduce are balanced (looks at Celebration Cake).
I get fridges and toilets — but what makes dividers and rugs worthwhile to sell in the Black Market?
We asked our lore team, and believe it or not, there’s a canonical reason! Zeki needs something to hide the actual elicit goods when the authorities (AKA Eshe) come around. “You could say he’s sweeping things under the rug!” – S6 Vega
I can open my cabinets now — but what about the dishes? Will we be getting that back?
There are definitely plans to add in plates and other pantry-specific decor. As they say: “the kitchen is the heart of the home.” There’s just no ETA on that yet, but please stay tuned!
I feel like I hit the Renown cap (1,000) rather fast with nothing to spend it on. Are there any plans to address this?
This is something that’s certainly top of mind for us, so we’ll have to take some time to assess the best way to go about it.
Holy smokes! Our devs fixed over 100 known issues this patch cycle – that’s a LOT of bugs! Here are some worth celebrating listed below.
- The Sushi Recipe can now be fished by everyone!
— Thank you to everyone who reported this issue, and helped to get to the root cause.
— To help you on your Sushi Recipe journey, we are giving all players affected by this bug 50 Glow Worms. They will soon be available through your in-game player inbox!
- You can now complete the quest “Hunger Pains” by dropping the Blueberry Pie off in the expected location.
- Sticky Smoke Bombs now work in multiplayer bug catching, so that everyone can loot the critter after dazing it!
- You can now loot Star Quality Proudhorn Sernuk Antlers when hunting this elusive creature.
- We can now confidently confirm that adding 99 fertilizers to all nine soil plots will no longer prevent you from interacting with them!
- Players will no longer freeze when cooking the Sushi recipe.
- The navigation tutorial no longer pops up every time you pass the Phoenix Shrine.
- When placing the campfire, you will now hear the satisfying “whoosh!” we’ve come to know and love, and will see the lovely visual effects.
Players no longer get stuck in an infinite loading screen when trying to leave their Housing Plot before talking to Hodari during the early game tutorials.
- We have done an overall polish pass to many textures and environment details throughout Palia. This work is ongoing!
Disclaimer: The Community Team does its very best to collect all possible Known Issues into our wicker baskets; however, we don’t always have enough space to list everything. Be sure to check out the Known Issues list below to see if we’re already working on a quirk you’ve encountered!
Top Known Issues
There are ongoing issues with Achievements, including darkened silhouettes for previously caught critters and rewards not being granted.
- We definitely know how frustrating this is, and are working hard to get this complicated and interconnected issue solved as soon as possible. Thank you all for your patience as we investigate!
In some cases, players are experiencing their rooms merging or overlapping, and are unable to move them.
- We will be releasing a fix for this in the next few updates. In the meantime, please proceed with caution as you place your room add-ons.
When completing the final puzzle in the Fire Temple, players might become stuck.
- Relogging should resolve this issue, and you will be able to speak to Hassian to complete the quest.
Interacting with the Wardrobe while your character is stuck in the “missing textures & T-posing” appearance will cause your character to reset/change appearances permanently.
- At the moment, the workaround for the “T-posing” issue is to simply relog into the game.
- Please avoid interacting with the wardrobe, otherwise your character may change with no way to adjust certain settings at this time.
Finally: We know localization is not up to our quality bar, and are taking active steps to improve the experience in many languages. This is an ongoing process, and we’re sorry that we haven’t lived up to your expectations or our promise to you, our players.
Expanded Known Issues List
Disclaimer: These are only a select few issues of many we’re aware of! For troubleshooting on common technical issues, please visit our Player Support page.
Recently Added Known Issues
- An increasing number of players are experiencing a crash when traveling between servers, with the error message “Client travel experienced failure. Please try again.” Some workarounds include:
- Force closing Palia from the Task Manager
- Removing all your furniture from storage and placing it on an unused plot. This is a rare fix, but can help on occasion.
- All chat channels are toggled “on” by default in the Lobby.
- There are two signs showing in the Housing Plot opening cinematic.
- The quests “Brick by Brick” and “Plank by Plank” are appearing in players’ quest list, even if they’ve already completed them previously.
- One workaround option is to re-craft and place the requested crafters. We are working on a longer term fix in the meantime!
- When selecting an option in the Settings menu, the pulldown menu does not show “highlights” for your selection unless you are hovering right over the available text.
- Rescinding an expired Request does not work.
- These Requests will expire on their own after 2 hours.
- Requested items from other players will not appear until you’ve changed servers.
- When Housing Permissions are updated, all current visitors will receive the same notification about an individual’s permission changes.
- The pants of the Disciple Set have unfinished textures. You may also notice some changes to your player’s skin texture when wearing this outfit.
- Sometimes, when you place a crop in a Preserves Jar, it does not go into the intended Jar. It instead is placed in the Preserves Jar adjacent to the one you placed it in.
Around The World
Climbing is not always a smooth experience, especially around Pulsewater Plains and Hideaway Bluffs in Bahari Bay, and an area near Leafhopper Hills in Kilima Village. We also observe difficulty with climbing ivy. There is long-term work being done to make all of climbing around Palia a better time!
You will find the occasional invisible barrier, or are able to walk through seemingly solid objects.
Stray gliders can be found scattered throughout the world. Sadly, this is not a new and unusual foragable.
There are a collection of visual errors where items will “fade” in and out of view as you approach.
There are areas where you might fall through the world, or get stuck in an unexpected corner.
— Typing /unstuck, or using the Return Home button on your map, will free you.
Grass is growing through some objects on the housing plot, like aquariums.
The Pavel Family site at the Rememberance Garden is currently invisible, but can still be interacted with.
The Whisper Chat defaults to yourself after exiting a Party.
Sometimes players can still send messages in Community chat after being kicked from the community.
There is no error message pop-up if you accidentally type an incorrect prompt in chat (for example, “/w” instead of “w/” to whisper).
When fishing near Einar, players will have to cast out very far to avoid the dock despite the fishing indicator being blue.
Friends, Parties, & Communities
Sometimes, Friend Requests do not appear in the social panel.
Players suddenly exiting the game (using Alt+F4 or crashing, for example), may still appear active and in a party despite no longer being online.
When a player blocks another player, the blocker is not removed from the blockee’s Social Panel Server section.
— Friend requests that have been denied will reappear upon relog.
When in the Lobby screen, the ESC key and O shortcuts to access the social panel does not bring up the settings menu or toggle the state of the social panel.
Player’s list of “Offline” friends is not minimized or collapsed by default.
When in the Lobby screen, the Friend Request notification does not appear when receiving a friend request.
Players are allowed to send Community invitations, even if their Community is full.
— Remaining invites will not rescind when a Community reaches capacity, too.
Your Party does not disband when there is one Party Member left after the Party Leader, or Member, leaves the game.
Players do not receive a chat notification message when someone joins a party.
Players do not receive a chat notification message when another player joins their neighborhood.
Players who are in the same community OR in the same server, who send each other friend requests, may see location information (such as where one player is currently located in the world) in the social panel.
Party invitations do not expire when a Party becomes full.
Housing & Furniture
There is some minor clipping from the environment through the furniture, such as grass and trees.
When crafted, pieces from the Emberborn set are not marked with the “crafted” checkmark.
When crafted, pieces from the Emberborn set are not placed in the “Furniture” tab of your inventory. They can still be found in the “All” tab.
— The above two issues will be fixed in the next update!
If players have full inventories and they have space in their storage, they receive a “Wow, your inventory is full” error pop-up when trying to pick up their house, or housing add-ons.
— This can be especially challenging when picking up your house while star quality fish and insects are placed, as these may accidentally be destroyed.
— Having just one empty slot available in your inventory will allow you to move your house and housing add-ons.
Menus & Interface
The ESC key does not close the Repair Anvil as well as a few other menus. We are working on this for better consistency.
The camera function cannot be rebound from the “K” key.
Party UI does not appear/disappear if a player takes a photo in-game before joining or leaving a party.
Quests & Villagers
The quest “Prove Your Devotion” is not accurately tracking the amount of Tree Seeds collected.
Some items are invisible when placed in your home, like Einar’s Shiny Pebble and Jina’s flowers.
The quest “Wares in Low Places” requires you to talk to Zeki in the Underground to complete the quest. You may see progress reset when you leave, so be sure to talk to Zeki before you go!
In Private spaces, NPCs are not standing on their expected target points, which could result in you catching Zeki jumping on his bed.
When completing the quest “Ancient Battery”, there is no text in the pop-up. There are no further steps you need to take!
Ashura is teleporting from his morning workout routine straight to his fishing location at 10:15am Palia Time.
Star quality items are no longer available to select to fulfill requests. This will prevent star quality items from being downgraded when your friend receives the item.
— We will be making updates very soon to allow star quality items to be both sent and requested.
Visual, Audio, & Animation Bugs
Friends in the Social Panel appear shocked by all these Emerging Known Issues! This is not intended.
The Focus tutorial does not pop up to guide new players through an explanation of their Focus bar.
UI buttons animate correctly but do not respond when clicked on their edges.
A visual issue where when playing with a smaller screen size, or in windowed mode, the clothing icons in the wardrobe display covers the “continue” button.
Terrain and foliage pop in and out during Welcome To Palia Cinematic.
There are a collection of visual errors where items or environments will “pop” in and out of view as you approach.
There are a handful of icons that do not match their item. This also applies to accomplishments rewards, like the Bug Catching accomplishments.
After using the bow or smoke bomb, players can sometimes lock into the hunting pose.
The Honey Lure animation does not loop properly.
Wardrobe & Premium Store
Premium Store outfit thumbnails appear slightly greyed/muted in color until players hover over them.
When players are transitioned to the Wardrobe, or Dressing Room Menu, they see glimpses of a black screen with UI, terrain, and an empty wardrobe menu with ”No Matching Results”. It will return to the expected appearance shortly after.
Hair Dye Patterns do not display a pattern in the UI. The swatches appear as blank circles.
The Emote button has returned to the wardrobe! This button is not functional, and will disappear again in a future update.
When selecting the Pet tab, the Emotes menu appears instead. To access Pets, click Emotes, then Pets again.
Wow, you took the whole scary journey all the way to the bottom! Since you’re so brave, here’s a treat to click: