“How to Remove a bounty in Starfield” is a question often asked by players of the new hit game Starfield. As you venture through the expansive galaxy, you may encounter situations that lead to a bounty on your head. In this comprehensive guide, we will delve into the various methods to eliminate this bounty, allowing you to fully enjoy the immersive and dynamic gaming experience without the constant threat of hostile factions and guards.
Understand Starfield Bounties
Before we explore the methods to remove a bounty in Starfield, it’s essential to understand how you can acquire one in the first place. Starfield operates with a complex system for tracking criminal activities, and various actions can lead to the placement of a bounty on you:
- Stealing: Engaging in theft, whether it’s pickpocketing or stealing from containers, can lead to a bounty if you’re caught.
- Assault: Attacking non-player characters (NPCs) without provocation or engaging in acts of violence can land you in trouble.
- Trespassing: Entering restricted areas or private properties without permission can result in a bounty.
- Hacking: Unauthorized access to computer systems or terminals can also lead to criminal charges.
- Multiple Offenses: Committing numerous crimes increases the severity of your bounty.
Remove a Bounty in Starfield
Now that we have a clear understanding of how you can end up with a bounty in Starfield, let’s explore the methods to remove a bounty in Starfield.
1. Paying Your Bounty
One of the most straightforward ways to remove a bounty in Starfield is by paying it off. Here’s what you need to know:
- Trackers Alliance Self-Service Bounty Clearance Kiosks: You can find these kiosks in major settlements throughout the game. Approach a kiosk, interact with it, and select “Clear Bounty.” The amount you owe will vary based on the severity of your crimes, ranging from as low as 600 credits to a hefty 100,000 credits.
- Faction Restrictions: Keep in mind that you cannot use a kiosk in the same airspace as the faction that placed the bounty on you. You’ll need to travel to a different faction-controlled planet to access a kiosk.
- Building Your Own Kiosk: If you’re deep within a faction’s territory, it might be challenging to access a kiosk. In such cases, consider building your own Self-Service Bounty Clearance item at an outpost, found in the Miscellaneous tab in Build Mode.
- Paying Guards: If you’re confronted by a faction guard in their territory, you can choose to pay the bounty directly to them. However, this option comes with a price, as you’ll also lose any stolen goods in your inventory.
2. Serving Jail Time
If you can’t afford to pay your bounty or simply prefer not to, you can opt to serve jail time, which is one way to remove a bounty in Starfield. Here’s what you can expect:
- Jail Sentence Length: The duration of your jail sentence corresponds to the severity of your crimes. While in jail, you’ll lose experience points (XP), but your XP won’t go below zero, and you won’t lose levels. Additionally, any stolen goods in your possession will be confiscated.
- Escape: In jail, you’ll have the option to wait out your sentence or attempt an escape. However, even if you manage to break free, your bounty will remain active.
- Fighting Guards: Fighting guards is possible, but it’s a risky endeavor, as they tend to be formidable opponents.
3. Offering a Bribe
In specific scenarios, you can attempt to bribe your way out and remove a bounty in Starfield.
- Initial Costs: Attempting to bribe guards can be costly, with an initial price of 3,000 credits in some cases.
- Negotiation Skill: Invest in the Negotiation skill within the social skill tree to negotiate lower bribes as your skill level improves. At level four, you can eliminate bounties at no cost.
- Charisma Matters: Your Charisma skill can also impact your success when bribing guards. However, if your bribe attempt fails, the authorities will arrest you, and your bounty fee will increase.
Repercussions of Having a Bounty
Having a bounty in Starfield can significantly impede your progress. You may encounter difficulties when attempting to finish particular quests or align with specific factions while burdened by a bounty. However, once you successfully remove a bounty in Starfield, you’ll be back in good standing, allowing you to seamlessly pursue missions or seek faction memberships, as long as you meet the requirements.
The cost to remove a bounty in Starfield and the severity of your jail sentence depends on factors like your location, reputation, and the nature of your crimes.
Check Your Bounty Status
To efficiently remove a bounty in Starfield and stay informed about your progress, access the Starmap, choose a solar system, and examine the top right corner of the screen. Here, you can conveniently monitor details concerning the primary faction operating in that particular system and the specific credit amount attached to your Starfield bounty. If you don’t see any numbers displayed, it signifies that you currently have no active Starfield bounty within that territory.
Navigating the Settled Systems in Starfield can be a thrilling adventure, but it’s essential to be mindful of your actions. Whether you find yourself with a bounty due to a pickpocket gone awry or a botched smuggling operation, knowing how to remove a bounty in Starfield is crucial. With the information provided in this guide, you can now confidently navigate the cosmos, free from the burden of a bounty on your head.
1. Can I clear my bounty without losing stolen goods?
Unfortunately, paying off the bounty or serving jail time will result in the loss of stolen goods in your inventory.
2. What happens if I escape from jail?
While escaping is an option, your bounty will remain active even if you successfully break out.
3. Is it possible to negotiate lower bribes for clearing bounties?
Yes, by investing in the Negotiation skill and improving your Charisma, you can negotiate lower bribe amounts.
4. Can I join a faction with an active bounty?
Generally, it’s challenging to join factions with an active bounty. Clearing your bounty is advisable before attempting to join.
5. Do I gain bounties for crimes that go undetected?
No, bounties are only placed on you if authorities catch you in the act. Crimes that go undetected won’t result in bounties.